Volume : 7, Issue : 3, MAR 2021
TISSUE ENGINEERING : A SOOTHSAYER IN DENTAL REGENERATION REVOLUTION
DR. NEETIKA GUPTA, DR. SHERRY VERMA, DR. AMAN KHURANA, DR.JAIPREET SINGH GILL, DR. RYTHM BATRA
Tissue engineering envelops a fast developing multidisciplinary field. Both from a medical and dental social point of view, there is great need to safeguard tissues and organs to overcome the shortage of donor organs and to reduce the health care cost. Tissue engineering is an interdisciplinary field that combines the principles of engineering, material and biological sciences toward the development of therapeutic strategies and biological substitutes that restore, maintain, replace or improve biological functions. The association of biomaterials, stem cells, growth and differentiation factors have yielded the development of new treatment opportunities in most of the biomedical areas, including Dentistry. The objective of this paper is to present the principles underlying tissue engineering and the current scenario, the challenges and the perspectives of this area in Dentistry.
DENTAL STEM CELLS, ORAL SURGERY, PERIODONTAL REGENERATION, REGENERATIVE DENTISTRY, REGENERATIVE ENDODONTICS, TEETH TISSUE ENGINEERING.
Article : Download PDF
Cite This Article
Article No : 6
Number of Downloads : 46
- Langer R, Vacanti JP, Vacanti CA, Atala A, Freed LE, Vunjak-Novakovic G. Tissue engineering: Biomedical applications. Tissue Eng 1995;1:151-61.
- Zhang YD, Chen Z, Song YQ, Liu C, Chen YP. Making a tooth: Growth factors, transcription factors, and stem cells. Cell Res 2005;15:301-16
- Illueca FM, Vera PB, Cabanilles PG, Fernanades VF, Loscos FJ. Periodontal regeneration in clinical practice. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2006;11:382–92.
- Minguell JJ, Erices A, Conget P. Mesenchymal stem cells. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 2001;226:507-20
- Nadig RR. Stem cell therapy- hype or hope. A review. J Conserv Dent. 2009;12:131–8.
- Krampera M, Franchini M, Pizzolo G, Aprili G. Mesenchymal stem cells: From biology to clinical use. Blood Transfus. 2007;5:120–9.
- Pittenger MF, Mackay AM, Beck SC, Jaiswal RK, Douglas R, Mosca JD, et al. Multilineage potential of adult human mesenchymal stem cells. Science. 1999;284:143–7.
- Friedenstein AJ. Precursor cells of mechanocytes. Int Rev Cytol. 1976;47:327–59.
- Hall PA, Watt FM. Stem cells: the generation and maintenance of cellular diversity. Development 1989; 106(4): 619-33.
- Spector M. Basic principles of scaffolds in tissue engineering. In: Lynch SE, Marx RE, Nevins M,Lynch LA, editors. Tissue engineering: Applications in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Periodontics. 2nd ed. Chicago: Quintessence Publishing; 2006. pp. 26–32.
- Kemppainen JM, Hollister SJ. Tailoring the mechanical properties of 3D-designed poly (glycerol sebacate) scaffolds for cartilage applications. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2010; 94:9–18.
- Pryor ME, Polimeni G, Koo KT, Hartman MJ, Gross H, April M, et al. Analysis of rat calvaria defects implanted with a platelet rich plasma preapartion: Histological and histometric observations. J Clin Periodontol. 2005;32:966–72.
- Bennett NT, Schultz GS. Growth factors and wound healing: Biochemical properties of growth factors and their receptors. Am J Surg. 1993;165:728–37.
- Hollinger J, Buck D, Bruder SP. Biology of bone healing: Its impact on clinical therapy. In: Lynch, Samuel E, Genco, Robert, Marx, Robert, editors. Tissue Engineering: Applications in Maxillofacial Surgery and Periodontics. 1st ed. Chicago: Quintessence Publishing; 1999. pp. 17–53.
- Raja S, Byakod G, Pudakalkatti P. Growth factors in periodontal regeneration. Int J Dent Hygiene. 2009;7:82–9.
- Sonoyama W, Liu Y, Fang D, Yamaza T, Seo BM, Zhang C, et al. Mesenchymal stem cell-mediated functional tooth regeneration in swine. PLoS One 2006;1:e79.
- De Coppi P, Bartsch G Jr, Siddiqui MM, Xu T, Santos CC, Perin L, et al. Isolation of amniotic stem cell lines with potential for therapy. Nat Biotechnol 2007;25:100-6.
- Ramseier CA, Abramson ZR, Jin Q, Giannobile WV. Gene therapeutics for periodontal regenerative medicine. Dent Clin North Am 2006;50:245-63, ix.
- Dobie K, Smith G, Sloan AJ, Smith AJ. Effects of alginate hydrogels and TGF-beta 1 on human dental pulp repair in vitro. Connect Tissue Res 2002;43:387-90.
- Friedlander LT, Cullinan MP, Love RM. Dental stem cells and their potential role in apexogenesis and apexification. Int Endod J 2009;42:955-62.
- Mabie PC, Mehler MF, Kessler JA. Multiple roles of bone morphogenetic protein signaling in the regulation of cortical cell number and phenotype. J Neurosci 1999;19:7077-88.