Volume : 2, Issue : 7, JUL 2016
SEED GERMINATION OF ABELMOSCHUS ESCULENTUS (L) MOENCH (OKRA) UNDER VARIOUS APPLICATIONS OF NEEEM PESTICIDES
Experiment conducted to investigate the effect of different neem based formulations on germination of okra seeds under laboratory and field conditions revealed that these botanicals at 1.00 percent concentration did not affect the germination of seed while 2.50 and 2.00 percent concentration prevented the invasion of the pests. Among all these treatments Bioneem was the best for seed germination of okra fallowed by Neemglod, Neemarin, Nimbicidine, Neemazal, whereas Achook proved to be the lowest. The germination of both seeds, in general was higher under laboratory conditions when compared with field data. The effectiveness of various neem based pesticides in respect of seed germination could be arranged in following descending order: Bioneem>Neemglod>Neemarin>Nimbicidine>Neemazal>Achook.
Neem based pesticides, Okra seed, Okra pests, Germination.
Article : Download PDF
Cite This Article
Article No : 12
Number of Downloads : 381
1. Sale, F.A. ,Fadip, T.F. and Adah, H.(2015) : Effect of neem extract preparations and
nutrient sources on performance of okra (Abelmoschus esculentus) plant. Nigerian
journal of Agiculture, Food and Environment. 11(2), 221-225.
2. Lamont, W. (1999) : Okra a versatile vegetable crop. Horticulture Technology, 9, 179-
3. Owolarafe, O.K. and Shotonde, H.O. (2004) : Some physical properties of fresh okra
fruit. Journal of Food and Engineering, 63, 299-302.
4. Chauhan, D.V.S.(1972) : Vegetable production in India (3rd edn.) Ram Prasad and Son.
5. Bindra, O.S. and Mahal, M.S.(1979) : Investigation on varietal resistance in okra,
Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) Moench to Jassid, Amrasca bigutulla bigutulla. Indian
journal of Horticulture, 36, 212-219.
6. Vevai, E.J. (1969) : Know your crop its, put the problem and control 13. Lady's finger.
Pesticides, 3(1), 29-33.
7. AL-Sherif, E., Hegarzy, A.K., Gomaa, N.H. and Hassan, M.O. (2013) : Allelopathic
effect of black mustard tissues and root exudates on some crops and weeds. Planta
Duninha, Vicosa-MG, 31(1), 11-19.
8. Sale, A.M. and Maday, M. (2013) : Investigation of the alleopathic potential of Alhagi
graecorum Boiss. Asian Journal of Agriculture Research, http:/scialert.net/qredirect.
php, publish: june27 (2013).
9. Dwivedi, K., Upadhya, K.D. and Ahmad, F. (1995) : Efficacy of some neem products as
seed treatments against rootknot nematods (M. ingonita) Abstr. Of paper presented at
national symposium on nematode problem of India. An appraisal of nematode
management with “Ecofriendly approaches and Biocomponents” held at I.A.R.I. New
Dehli March24-26, pp. 24.
10. Neelam Yadav, Ashok Kumar, Ranjana Yadav, Renu yadav and Manish kumar (2010) :
Phytotoxic effect of neem based pesticides controller on seedling of crucifer. The Asian
Journal of experimental chemistry, 5(1), 33-35.
11. Praveen, K.S., Ashok S. Sajjan, Patil, R.K., Dharmatti, P.R. and Kurdikeri, M.B.
(2007): Influence of seed treatment and foliar spray with insecticides and neem
products on growth and seed yield in okra ( Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) Moench).
Karnataka J. Agri. Sci., 20(2), 388- 510.