Volume : 2, Issue : 7, JUL 2016
HAND ACUPRESSURE FOR SYMPTOMATIC RELIEF OF CHRONIC RHINITIS
Dr. Prashant Devidas Khuje, Dr.(Mrs.) N. G. Borade
Healthy lifestyle modifications and alternative medicine reduces symptoms, complications, daily medications and drug induced adverse effects in patients of many chronic diseases. 25 known patients of chronic rhinitis were voluntarily participated in the present study that aimed to reduce the symptoms and drug ingestion by 30 minutes of hand acupressure daily. Frequency of symptoms and daily medications for relief of symptoms before the commencement of study and after 3 weeks of regular practice of self-acupressure over the specific acu-points on hand were analysed by “Z test of proportion”. It was observed that symptoms were decreased significantly with highly significant decreased in drug ingestion. It was concluded that hand acupressure can reduce the frequency of symptoms and medications in patients of chronic rhinitis.
Hand acupressure symptoms chronic rhinitis.
Article : Download PDF
Cite This Article
Article No : 17
Number of Downloads : 408
1. AdelmanD; 2002; Manual of Allergy and Immunology: Diagnosis and Therapy.
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. p. 66
2. Brinkhaus B, Witt CM, Jena S, Liecker B, Wegscheider K, Willich SN;2008: Acupuncture
in patients with allergic rhinitis: a pragmatic randomized trial. Ann Allergy Asthma
3. Choi SM, Park JE, Li SS, Jung H, Zi M, Kim TH, Jung S, Kim A, Shin M, Sul JU, Hong
Z, Jiping Z, Lee S, Liyun H, Kang K, Baoyan L. 2013; A multicenter, randomized, controlled
trial testing the effects of acupuncture on allergic rhinitis. Allergy; 68(3):365-
4. Dodd M, Janson S, Facione N, et al; 2001; Advancing the science of symptom management.
J AdvNurs; 33(5):668–676.
5. Eun JL& Frazier S; 2011; The Efficacy of Acupressure for Symptom Management: A
Systematic Review. J Pain Symptom Manage; 42(4): 589–603.
6. Kim JI, Lee MS, Jung SY, Choi JY, Lee S, Ko JM, Zhao H, Zhao J; 2009; Acupuncture
for persistent allergic rhinitis: a multi-centre, randomised, controlled trial protocol. Trials;
7. Lee TN: 2014; Dr. Lee's Philosophy of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). Acupuncture
& Herbal Medicine; www.acupuncturecourse.org/chairman_article3.php
8. Maa SH, Sun MF, Hsu KH, et al. 2003; Effect of acupuncture or acupressure on quality
of life of patients with chronic obstructive asthma: a pilot study. J Altern Complement
9. Maa SH, Tsou TS, Wang KY, et al. 2007; Self-administered acupressure reduces the
symptoms that limit daily activities in bronchiectasis patients: pilot study findings. J
10. McCarney RW, Brinkhaus B, Lasserson TJ, Linde K. 2004; Acupuncture for chronic
asthma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev; (1):CD000008.
11. Ng DK, Chow PY, Ming SP, Hong SH, et al 2004; A double-blind, randomized, placebo-
controlled trial of acupuncture for the treatment of childhood persistent allergic
rhinitis. Pediatrics; 114(5):1242-7.
12. Quillen, DM; Feller, DB: 2006; "Diagnosing rhinitis: Allergic vs. Nonallergic. American
family physician 73 (9): 1583–90.
13. Tsay S, Wang J, Lin K, Chung U. 2005; Effects of acupressure therapy for patients having
prolonged mechanical ventilation support. J AdvNurs; 52(2):142–150.
14. Tsay S. Acupressure and fatigue in patients with end-stage renal disease: a randomized
controlled trial.Int J Nurs Stud. 2004;41(1):99–106.
15. Tsay S, Cho Y, Chen M: 2004; Acupressure and transcutaneous electrical acupoint stimulation
in improving fatigue, sleep quality and depression in haemodialysis patients.
Am J Chin Med; 32(3):407–416.
16. Sanclement JA, Webster P, Thomas J, Ramadan HH; 2005. "Bacterial biofilms in surgical
specimens of patients with chronic rhinosinusitis". Laryngoscope 115 (4): 578–82.
17. Song HJ, Seo HJ, Lee H, Son H, Choi SM; 2015; Effect of self-acupressure for symptom
management: a systematic review.Complement Ther Med; 23(1):68-78.
18. Valet RS, Fahrenholz JM. 2009; Allergic rhinitis: update on diagnosis. Consultant;
19. Walter B, Hans HN, Carl R;2009: Ear, nose, and throat diseases: with head and neck surgery
(3rd ed.). Stuttgart: Thieme. p. 150.
20. Wheeler PW; Wheeler SF 2005. "Vasomotor rhinitis". American family physician 72
21. Wu H, Wu S, Lin J, Lin L. 2004; Effectiveness of acupressure in improving dyspnoea in
chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J AdvNurs; 45(3):252–259.
22. Wu H, Lin L, Wu S, Lin J: 2007; The psychological consequences of chronic dyspnea in
chronic pulmonary obstruction disease: the effects of acupressure on depression. J
Altern Complement Med; 13(2):253–261.
23. Wu HS, Wu SC, Lin JG, Lin LC; 2004: Effectiveness of acupressure in improving
dyspnoea in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J AdvNurs; 45(3):252-9.
24. www.acupuncturecourse.org/chairman_article3.php.Acupressure Points for Sinus
Problems & Nasal Congestion ...
25. www.acupressure.com/articles/colds_and_flu.htm Acupressure Points, Techniques &
Self-Care for Relieving Colds & Flu
Acupressure Points for Chest Congestion, Phlegm, Coughing, Difficult ...
27. www.in.pinterest.com/pin/348958671098049825/Acupressure for flufludp.com/flu/
28. www.acupressurepointsguide.com/acupressure-points-for-stuffy-or-runny-nose/ Acupressure
Points for Stuffy or Runny Nose - Acupressure Points Guide
Acupressure Points for Sinus Problems & Nasal Congestion
and Acupressure points for sinusitis and sinus headache
Allergy Relief Acupressure Points - for Allergic Reactions ...
Nasal Congestion with Acupressure Points - Causes ...
33. www.acupuncturecourse.org/chairman_article3.php Treatment of Rhinitis with Acupuncture
- acupuncturecourse.org ...
34. Xue CC, An X, Cheung TP, Da Costa C, Lenon GB, Thien FC, Story DF 2007; Acupuncture
for persistent allergic rhinitis: a randomised, sham-controlled trial. Med J
35. Y Sung; 2002; Acupuncture for gastrointestinal disorders: myth or magic, Gut. 2002
Nov; 51(5): 617–619.