Volume : 7, Issue : 3, MAR 2021
DISCLOSING AGENTS: DISCLOSE THE PRESENCE OF PLAQUE
DR. AMAN KHURANA, DR. NEETIKA GUPTA, DR.JAIPREET SINGH GILL, DR. SHERRY VERMA, DR. RYTHM BATRA
Certain agents (dyes) may be used to make the supragingival plaques visible and such agents are called disclosing agents. Staining of bacterial plaque is an aid for patients in developing an efficient system of plaque removal and also in explaining and teaching the significance of plaque in dental disease. Disclosing agents work by changing the colour of dental biofilm in order to provide a contrast with the tooth surface. Biofilms have the capacity to retain large no. of dye substances due to the interaction. The polarity difference between the components of the dye and biofilm. Electrostatic interactions (proteins) and hydrogen bonds (polysaccharides) bind the particles together.
Article : Download PDF
Cite This Article
Article No : 9
Number of Downloads : 57
- Shefali Sharma. Plaque Disclosing Agent – A Review. Journal of Advanced Dental Research; 2010:(1)Oct.
- J. Micheal Skaggs, Robert E. Dckson, James H. Bowers & Edward A. Tavss. Plaque disclosing composition. 4992256, Feb 12, 1991.
- Skinner, F. H. The prevention of pyorrhoea and dental caries by prophylaxis. Dental Cosmos. 1914(56):229-309.
- Loe, H., Thielade, E. & Jensen, S.B. Experimental gingivitis in man. Journal of Periodontology. 1965(36):177-187.
- Axelsson, P, & Lindhe, J. The effect of a preventive programme on dental plaque, gingivitis and caries in schoolchildren. Results after one and two years. Journal of Clinical Periodontology, 1974(1):126-138,
- Berwick, C. C. The disinfection of the oral mucosa with crystal violet and brilliant green. Journal of Dental Research. 1920(2):21-42.
- Easlick, K. A. The dentist's management of young children American Journai of Orthodontics.):78-88.
- Raybin, M. Disclosing agents: their importance and uses. The Dental Outlook. 1943(4): 159-162.
- Amim, S, S. Thoughts concerning pathogenesis, treatment and prevention of periodontal disease. Journal of Periodontotogy. 1958(29):217-223.
- Amim, S, S. The use of disclosing agents for measuring tooth cleanliness. Journal of Periodontology. 1963(34):227-245.
- Raybin, M. Disclosing solutions. Dental Items of Interest. 1945(67):235-243.
- Heffemen, J. J., Cooley. R. O., Hale, J. B., Olsen, N.H. & Lyon, H.W. Use of ultraviolet illumination in oral diagnosis. Journal of the American Dental Association. 1971(82): 1353-1360.
- Lang, N. P., Ostergaard, E. & Loe, H. A fluorescent plaque disclosing agent. Journal of Periodontal Research. 1972(7):59-67.
- Block, P, L, Lobene, R. R, & Derdivanis, J, P. A two-tone dye test for dental plaque. Journal of Periodontology. 1972(43):423-426
- Esther. M. Wilkins. Clinical practice of the dental hygienist. 10th ed. 388-391.
- Newman. Takei. Klokkevold. Carranza; Carranza’s clinical periodontology; 9th edition; Elsevier: 2006
- Mosby’s Dental dictionary. 2nd edition, Elsevier:2008
- Gallagher H.C. et al. Mechanism of action of two tone plaque disclosing agent. J. Periodontol. 1977:395.
- Kirika Ishiyama, Keisuke Nakamura, Hiroyo Ikai, Taro Kanno, Masahiro Kohno, Keiichi Sasaki, Yoshimi Niwano. Photogenerated Singlet Oxygen for Disinfection. 2012(7):May.