Volume : 7, Issue : 10, OCT 2021
APPLICATION OF TITANIUM DIOXIDE (TiO2) AS PHOTOCATALYST FOR WASTEWATER TREATMENT
NEETHU B, SUCHITH CHELLAPPAN*, CHINGAKHAM.C
In the current anthropocene, environmental pollution is a global problem that is inextricably linked with rapid industrialization and urbanization. Pollution hampers the environment sustainability and ecosystem services. Realizing the importance of keeping our planet clean, researchers are actively working for eco- friendly alternative technologies for all areas of daily life. With the environmental safety becoming the research focus, water environmental security, as an updating research direction has also been the concern. Nano- titania photo catalysis can prevent environmental pollution from the sources and ensure the fundamental productions in the industry. The main aim of this review paper is to give an overview of the enhanced photo catalytic activities of titanium dioxide (TiO2) nanoparticles. This review includes the basic properties of photo catalyst and mechanism of photo catalysis process followed by unique photo catalytic properties and research of TiO2 nano particles as photo catalysts. An effort has also been made to give an overview of expedient photo catalytic activity of these doped nano particles. The applications of nano particle photo catalytic technology in environmental safety are reviewed. Emphasis is put on the applications of nano- titania photo catalytic technology in wastewater treatment, and the latest achievements in scientific research of nano particle photo catalytic technology in wastewater treatment are given.
PHOTOCATALYSIS, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, POLLUTION, WASTE WATER TREATMENT.
Article : Download PDF
Cite This Article
Article No : 8
Number of Downloads : 146
- A. J. Haider, R. H. Al-Anbari, G. R. Kadhim, and C. T. Salame, “Exploring potential Environmental applications of TiO2 Nanoparticles,” Energy Procedia, vol. 119, pp. 332–345, 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.egypro.2017.07.117.
- Al-Mamun, M. R., Kader, S., Islam, M. S., & Khan, M. Z. H. (2019). Photo catalytic activity improvement and application of UV-TiO2 photo catalysis in textile wastewater treatment: A review. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 7(5), 103248.
- B. Zhang, S. Cao, M. Du, X. Ye, Y. Wang, and J. Ye, “Titanium dioxide (Tio2) mesocrystals: Synthesis, growth mechanisms and photo catalytic properties,” Catalysts, vol. 9, no. 1, 2019, doi: 10.3390/catal9010091.
- Bernauer, U., Bodin, L., Chaudhry, Q., Coenraads, P. J., Dusinska, M., Ezendam, J., ... & Von Goetz, N. (2020). SCCS OPINION on Titanium dioxide (TiO2) used in cosmetic products that lead to exposure by inhalation- SCCS/1617/20, Final Opinion.
- Borges, M. E., Sierra, M., Cuevas, E., García, R. D., & Esparza, P. (2016). Photo catalysis with solar energy: Sunlight-responsive photocatalyst based on TiO2 loaded on a natural material for wastewater treatment. Solar Energy, 135, 527-535.
- Boroski, M., Rodrigues, A. C., Garcia, J. C., Sampaio, L. C., Nozaki, J., & Hioka, N. (2009). Combined electro coagulation and TiO2 photo assisted treatment applied to wastewater effluents from pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries. Journal of hazardous materials, 162(1), 448-454.
- Chong, M. N., Tneu, Z. Y., Poh, P. E., Jin, B., & Aryal, R. (2015). Synthesis, characterisation and application of TiO2–zeolite nano composites for the advanced treatment of industrial dye wastewater. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 50, 288-296.
- D. al deen A. Aljuboury and F. Shaik, “Assessment of TiO2/ZnO/H2O2 Photocatalyst to treat wastewater from oil refinery within visible light circumstances,” South African J. Chem. Eng., vol. 35, no. February 2020, pp. 69– 77, 2021, doi: 10.1016/j.sajce.2020.11.004.
- D. Ziental et al., “Titanium dioxide nanoparticles: Prospects and applications in medicine,” Nanomaterials, vol. 10, no. 2, 2020, doi: 10.3390/nano10020387.
- Elmolla, E. S., & Chaudhuri, M. (2011). The feasibility of using combined TiO2 photo catalysis-SBR process for antibiotic wastewater treatment. Desalination, 272(1-3), 218- 224.
- F. D. Utami, D. Y. Rahman, Sutisna, Kamirul, D. O. Margareta, and M. Abdullah, “Photocatalyst based on TiO2 and its application in organic wastewater treatment using simple spray method,” J. Phys. Conf. Ser., vol. 1204, no. 1, 2019, doi: 10.1088/1742- 6596/1204/1/012086.
- H. H. Do et al., “Recent progress in TiO2-based photo catalysts for hydrogen evolution reaction: A review,” Arab. J. Chem., vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 3653–3671, 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.arabjc.2019.12.012.
- H. Mosaddeghi, B. Rezaei, and H. Mosaddeghi, “Applications of Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles,” Appl. Titan. Dioxide Nano coatings, no. January, pp. 1–4, 2009, [Online]. Available: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/215721240_Applications_of_Titanium_ Dioxide
- Hamdy, M. S., Saputera, W. H., Groenen, E. J., & Mul, G. (2014). A novel TiO2 composite for photo catalytic wastewater treatment. Journal of catalysis, 310, 75-83.
- K. Hashimoto, H. Irie, and A. Fujishima, “TiO 2 photo catalysis: A historical overview and future prospects,” Japanese J. Appl. Physics, Part 1 Regul. Pap. Short Notes Rev. Pap., vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 8269–8285, 2005, doi: 10.1143/JJAP.44.8269.
- L. Jiang, Y. Wang, and C. Feng, “Application of photo catalytic technology in environmental safety,” Procedia Eng., vol. 45, pp. 993–997, 2012, doi: 10.1016/j.proeng.2012.08.271.
- Lydakis-Simantiris, N., Riga, D., Katsivela, E., Mantzavinos, D., & Xekoukoulotakis, N. P. (2010). Disinfection of spring water and secondary treated municipal wastewater by TiO2 photo catalysis. Desalination, 250(1), 351-355.
- M. A. Lazar, S. Varghese, and S. S. Nair, “Photo catalytic water treatment by titanium dioxide: Recent updates,” Catalysts, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 572–601, 2012, doi: 10.3390/catal2040572.
- M. Pini, E. I. C. González, P. Neri, C. Siligardi, and A. M. Ferrari, “Assessment of environmental performance of TiO 2 nanoparticles coated self-cleaning float glass,” Coatings, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2017, doi: 10.3390/coatings7010008.
- M. Simko and R. Fries, “(Nano) - Titanium dioxide (Part III): Environmental effects,” Nano Trust Dossiers, vol. No. 035en, no. December, pp. 1–3, 2012.
- Macak, J. M., Tsuchiya, H., Ghicov, A., Yasuda, K., Hahn, R., Bauer, S., & Schmuki, P. (2007). TiO2 nano tubes: Self-organized electrochemical formation, properties and applications. Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science, 11(1-2), 3- 18.
- Miranda-García, N., Suárez, S., Sánchez, B., Coronado, J. M., Malato, S., & Maldonado, M. I. (2011). Photo catalytic degradation of emerging contaminants in municipal wastewater treatment plant effluents using immobilized TiO2 in a solar pilot plant. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 103(3-4), 294-301.
- N. Sharotri, D. Sharma, and D. Sud, “Experimental and theoretical investigations of Mn-N-co-doped TiO2 photocatalyst for visible light induced degradation of organic pollutants,” J. Mater. Res. Technol., vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 3995–4009, 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.jmrt.2019.07.0 08.
- N. T. Padmanabhan et al., “Graphene coupled TiO2 photo catalysts for environmental applications: A review,” Chemosphere, vol. 271, p. 129506, 2021, doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2020.129506.
- Nah, Y. C., Paramasivam, I., & Schmuki, P. (2010). Doped TiO2 and TiO2 nano tubes: synthesis and applications. ChemPhysChem, 11(13), 2698-2713.
- P. H. Jones, “Wastewater Treatment Technology,” Water Resour. Land-Use Plan. A Syst. Approach, pp. 93–13E2, 1982, doi: 10.1007/978-94-009-7648- 1_10.
- P. Magalhães, L. Andrade, O. C. Nunes, and A. Mendes, “Titanium dioxide photo catalysis: Fundamentals and application on photo inactivation,” Rev. Adv. Mater. Sci., vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 91– 129, 2017.
- Pekakis, P. A., Xekoukoulotakis, N. P., & Mantzavinos, D. (2006). Treatment of textile dyehouse wastewater by TiO2 photo catalysis. Water research, 40(6), 1276-1286.
- Roy, P., Berger, S., & Schmuki, P. (2011). TiO2 nanotubes: synthesis and applications. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 50(13), 2904- 2939.
- S. Y. Lee and S. J. Park, “TiO2 photocatalyst for water treatment applications,” J. Ind. Eng. Chem., vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1761–1769, 2013, doi: 10.1016/j.jiec.2 013.07.012.
- Song, T., Li, R., Li, N., & Gao, Y. (2019). Research progress on the application of nano meter TiO2 photo electro catalysis technology in wastewater treatment. Science of Advanced Materials, 11(2), 158-165.
- T. H. Wang, A. M. Navarrete-López, S. Li, D. A. Dixon, and J. L. Gole, “Hydrolysis of TiCl4: Initial steps in the production of TiO2,” J. Phys. Chem. A, vol. 114, no. 28, pp. 7561–7570, 2010, doi: 10.1021/jp102020h.
- Vijayalakshmi, R., & Rajendran, V. (2012). Synthesis and characterization of nano- TiO2 via different methods. Archives of Applied Science Research, 4(2), 1183-1190.
- W. Tu et al., “State-of-the-art advancements of crystal facet-exposed photo catalysts beyond TiO2: Design and dependent performance for solar energy conversion and environment applications,” Mater. Today, vol. 33, no. March, pp. 75–86, 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.mattod.2019.09.003.
- Zhang, T., Wang, X., & Zhang, X. (2014). Recent progress in TiO2- mediated solar photo catalysis for industrial wastewater treatment. International Journal of Photo energy, 2014.