Volume : 2, Issue : 3, MAR 2016
ACUTE STRESS DISORDER (ASD) & POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER (PTSD) IN LOCO CREW WHO WERE DIRECTLY INVOLVED IN RAILWAY FATALITIES IN INDIAN RAILWAYS: MEASURES INCLUDING PROFESSIONAL PSYCHOLOGICAL HELP AND SUPPORT IN THE PROCESS OF PSYCHOLOGICAL HEALING
T. Srinivas , Dr. Vijayram Reddy Malladi
Loco crew witnessing a fatal accident causes severe stress in them, with Acute Stress Disorder (within 4 weeks) or later by subsequent Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Psychological disability caused by stress is likely to affect cognitive and emotional functions like memory, attention, concentration and decision making. Train driver's tasks are without doubt psychologically demanding. Job related psychiatric injury and mental stress is just as serious as physical injuries that are sustained while working. The aim of this paper is to identify the level of ASD and PTSD among loco – pilots (loco crew) who are directly involved in railway fatalities and providing the suitable psychological help & support tailored to the individual cases in the process of rehabilitation.
Critical incidents, Cognitive behavioural therapy, Neglected Psychology
Article : Download PDF
Cite This Article
Article No : 7
Number of Downloads : 376
- A case of found body occurs when the crew notices a dead body by or on the tracks, but was not involved in the incident that killed that person.
- 2 .A close call occurs when a person or a vehicle come close to being hit by the train. The crew may have put the train in emergency stop or not.
- 3 .DSM-IV : Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, fourth version.
- 4. Medscape , Acute stress disorder and Post traumatic stress disorder
- 5. Mayo Clinic : Diseases and Conditions.
- 6..DRIVING WITH ANXIETY / POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER (PTSD) Parkwood Hospital Driver Assessment and Rehabilitation Program 801 Commissioners Road East London, Ontario N6C 5J1 Phone: (519) 685-4070 Fax: (519) 685-4576.
- REDUCING THE IMPACT OF RAILWAY FATALITIES ON CREW MEMBERS Cécile Bardon, M.Sc. Brian L Mishara, Ph.D. Centre for Research and Intervention on Suicide and Euthanasia (CRISE), Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM) Montréal, Quebec, Canada.
- 8. Other publications of the author in the area of human intervention in train safety; loco pilots work-life balance, health and well-being:
- WORKING UNUSUAL HOURS AND ITS IMPACT ON HEALTH OF LOCO PILOTS – A STUDY OFKAZIPET DEPOT IN SOUTH CENTRAL RAILWAY ZONE OF INDIAN RAILWAYS. *T.SRINIVAS, **DR.M.VIDYASAGAR REDDY GALAXY International Interdisciplinary Research Journal______________________________ ISSN 2347-6915 GIIRJ, Vol.3 (5), MAY (2015). Page No. 148-165.
- The Human Intervention in Train Safety on Indian Railways.
*T.Srinivas Assistant Professor, ITM Business School, Warangal, Telangana State, India
**Dr.M.Vidyasagar Reddy Professor, Dept.of Public Administration & HRM
Kakatiya University, Warangal. Telangana State, India.