Volume : 7, Issue : 10, OCT 2021
PORTABLE BIO COMPOSTER BIN FOR THE MANAGEMENT OF HOUSEHOLD WASTE
NEETHU B, SUCHITH CHELLAPPAN*, CHINGAKHAM.C
Waste is any substance that is discarded after primary use or is worthless, defective, and of no use. Food waste represents the largest fraction of the municipal solid waste generated and its management is associated with suboptimal performance in environmental, health, and social dimension. It includes the action to reduce waste through material efficiency, waste reduction, and the recovery reusing of discarded material. Composting is one such effective manner that can be followed in the house for waste management. No nuisance or danger to public health and safety is to be caused by waste and effluent disposal system. Among these, a Portable bio composter bin provided by the Kerala government followed by aerobic digestion coupled with effective nutrient and energy recovery is, according to the findings, the preferred option to improve the sustainability of the current system in all dimensions considered. The nutrient analysis of the compost is carried out to check the stability and quality. Results showed that moisture content is slightly above the permissible limit whereas the pH, total nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium came under the optimum limits. The results also suggested that the composting of waste using potable bio bin composter was feasible and its applicability is continuous. This technique also fulfilled the objective of producing quality compost, which was suitable for agricultural use.
WASTE, HOUSEHOLD WASTE MANAGEMENT, COMPOSTING, ENVIRONMENT, PORTABLE BIO COMPOSTER BIN, NUTRIENT ANALYSIS.
Article : Download PDF
Cite This Article
Article No : 14
Number of Downloads : 111
- Abdul Rahman, M. H., Sadi, T., Ahmad, A. A., Masri, I. N., Mohammad Yusoff, M., Kamaruddin, H., Shakri, N. A., Hamid, M. A. A., & Ab. Malek, R. (2020). Inventory and composting of yard waste in Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia. Heliyon, 6(7), e04486.
- Amasuomo, E., & Baird, J. (2016). The Concept of Waste and Waste Management. Journal of Management and Sustainability, 6(4), 88.
- Arti Pamnani, M. S. (2014). Municipal solid waste management in India: A review and some new results. International Journal of Civil Engineering and Technology, 5(2), 1–8.
- Biddinika, M. K., Syamsiro, M., Hadiyanto, A. N., Mufrodi, Z., & Takahashi, F. (2017). Technology for public outreach of fuel oil production from municipal plastic wastes. Energy Procedia, 142, 2797–2801.
- Burgess, T. (2013). in Zanzibar *. 1871–1925.
- Dehghani, M. H., Biati, A., Mirzaeian, Z., & Heidarinejad, Z. (2018). Dataset on investigating optimal household waste management in a GIS environment and quantitative and qualitative analysis in Bumehen city, Tehran, Iran. Data in Brief, 20, 258–268.
- Dubey, S., Singh, P., Yadav, P., & Singh, K. K. (2020). Household Waste Management System Using IoT and Machine Learning. Procedia Computer Science, 167(2019), 1950–1959.
- Ghosh, S. K. (2016). Swachhaa Bharat Mission (SBM) – A Paradigm Shift in Waste Management and Cleanliness in India. Procedia Environmental Sciences, 35, 15–27.
- Jayaprakash, S., HS, L., & BS, A. (2018). Design and Development of Compost Bin for Indian Kitchen. International Journal of Waste Resources, 08(01), 1–5.
- Jones, P. H. (1982). Wastewater Treatment Technology. Water Resources and Land-Use Planning: A Systems Approach, 93–132.
- Jouhara, H., Czajczyńska, D., Ghazal, H., Krzyżyńska, R., Anguilano, L., Reynolds, A. J., & Spencer, N. (2017). Municipal waste management systems for domestic use. Energy, 139, 485–506.
- JR Richards, & NetWaste. (2017). Impacts of Waste on the environment. E- Terra Technologies.
- Kim, E., Lee, D. H., Won, S., & Ahn, H. (2016). Evaluation of optimum moisture content for composting of beef manure and bedding material mixtures using oxygen uptake measurement. Asian- Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences, 29(5), 753–758.
- Nelles, M., Grünes, J., & Morscheck, G. (2016). Waste Management in Germany – Development to a Sustainable Circular Economy? Procedia EnvIronm- ental Sciences, 35, 6–14.
- Peña, H., Mendoza, H., Dianez, F., & Santos, M. (2020). Compost quality analysis. Agronomy,58～64.
- Safari, Y., Karimyan, K., Gupta, V. K., Ziapour, A., Moradi, M., Yoosefpour, N., Akhlaghi, M., & Sharafi, H. (2018). A study of staff׳s awareness and attitudes towards the importance of household hazardous wastes (HHW) management (A Case Study of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences, Kermanshah, Iran). Data in Brief, 19, 1490–1497.
- Shafique, I., Andleeb, S., Aftab, M. S., Naeem, F., Ali, S., Yahya, S., Ahmed, F., Tabasum, T., Sultan, T., Shahid, B., Khan, A. H., Islam, G. ul, & Abbasi, W. A. (2021). Efficiency of cow dung based vermi-compost on seed germination and plant growth parameters of Tagetes erectus (Marigold). Heliyon, 7(1).
- Slorach, P. C., Jeswani, H. K., Cuéllar- Franca, R., & Azapagic, A. (2020). Assessing the economic and environmental sustainability of household food waste management in the UK: Current situation and future scenarios. Science of the Total Environment, 710, 135580.
- Tonini, D., Wandl, A., Meister, K., Unceta, P. M., Taelman, S. E., Sanjuan- Delmás, D., Dewulf, J., & Huygens, D. (2020). Quantitative sustainability assessment of household food waste management in the Amsterdam Metropolitan Area. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 160(March), 104854.
- Ugwu, C. O., Ozoegwu, C. G., Ozor, P. A., Agwu, N., & Mbohwa, C. (2021). Waste reduction and utilization strategies to improve municipal solid waste management on Nigerian campuses. Fuel Communications, 9, 100025.
- Vigneswaran, S., Kandasamy, J., & Johir, M. A. H. (2016). Sustainable Operation of Composting in Solid Waste Management. Procedia Environmental Sciences, 35, 408–415.
- Vijayalakshmi, M. (2020). Modern Waste Management Techniques - A Critical Review. IOC-2020 Innovation and Sustainability Through E-STEM- 14th & 15th October, 2020, November, 1–10.
- Warunasinghe, W. A. A. I., & Yapa, P. I. (2016). A Survey on Household Solid Waste Management (SWM) with Special Reference to a Peri-urban Area (Kottawa) in Colombo. Procedia Food Science, 6(Icsusl2015), 257–260.