Volume : 1, Issue : 1, NOV 2015
MANIFESTATION OF ZINC DEFICIT IN KARACHI PAKISTAN; A CROSS SECTIONAL STUDY
Fatima Qamar, Safila Naveed, Syeda Sarah Abbas, Noor-ul-ain, Rabia Bibi, Sundus Mukhtar, Syeda Zainab, Syed Hameez Jawed
The research study was aimed to document the awareness of zinc importance in human health as, Zinc is involved in numerous aspects of cellular
metabolism. Zinc is so important because it is found in every tissue in the body and is directly involved in cell division. It is a powerful antioxidant,
helping to prevent cancer, but zinc also is directly involved in the maintenance of that ideal hormone levels. Zinc deficiency is characterized
by growth retardation, loss of appetite, and impaired immune function. zinc deficiency causes hair loss, diarrhea, delayed sexual maturation,
impotence, hypogonadism in males, and eye and skin lesions ,Weight loss, delayed healing of wounds, taste abnormalities, and mental lethargy
can also occur.The participants was selected randomly and asked to fill a questionnaire form that presents with the symptoms related to zinc
deficiency. The majority of the peoples are found to be having just a few symptoms of zinc deficiency while minority of the peoples are facing
symptoms related to zinc deficiency problem and they are still unaware of this. The majority of the group of populations is unaware that they are
concerned with the symptoms which are mainly caused due to the deficiency of zinc and it should not be neglected. They should readily recommend
those diets or zinc supplements which could be helpful to reduce such symptoms.
zinc deficiency, Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), immune system, Loss of appetite.
Article : Download PDF
Cite This Article
Article No : 7
Number of Downloads : 331
1. Atkinson, S. A., Whelan, D., Whyte, R. & Lonnerdal, B. (1989)
Abnormal zinc content in human milk: risk for development of
nutritional zinc deficiency in infants. Am. J. Dis. Child. 143:608-
2. Bahl, R., Bhandari, N., Hambidge, K. M. & Bhan, M. K. (1998)
Plasma zinc as a predictor of diarrheal and respiratory morbidity
in children in an urban slum setting. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 68:414.S-
3. Fierke, C. (2000) Function and mechanism of zinc. J. Nutr.
4. Foster M, Chu A, Petocz P, Samman S. Effect of vegetarian diets
on zinc status: a systematic review and meta-analysis of studies in
humans. J Sci Food Agric. 2013 Apr 17. | link
5. Bates, C. J., Evans, P. H. & Dardenne, M. (1993) A trial of zinc
supplementation in young rural Gambian children. Br. J. Nutr.
6. Zinc and immune function: the biological basis of altered
resistance to infection. Shankar AH, Prasad AS
7. "Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Zinc" U.S. Office of Dietary
Supplements. Accessed October 17th 2013.
8. A randomized, placebo-controlled, clinical trial of high-dose
supplementation with vitamins C and E, beta carotene, and zinc
for age-related macular degeneration and vision loss: AREDS
report no. 8. Age-Related Eye Disease Study Research Group
9. Bentley, M. E., Caulfield, L. E., Ram, M., Santizo, M. C., Hurtado,
E., Rivera, J. A., Ruel, M. T. & Brown, K. H. (1997) Zinc
supplementation affects the activity patterns of rural
Guatemalan infants. J. Nutr. 127:1333-1338.
10. Hambridge, K. M. & Walravens, P. A. (1982) Disorders of mineral
metabolism.Clin. Gastroenterol. 11:87-118.
11. Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Zinc. Office of Dietary
Supplements. National Institutes of Health. Accessed 12/15/2010.
12. Abbas, Syeda Sarah, et al. "ENLIGHTENMENT ON
NAEGLERIA FOWLERI; A BRAIN EATING AMOEBA-AN
ALARMING CALL." International Education and Research
Journal 1.3 (2015): 1-3.
13. Naveed, S., Abbas, S.S., Qamar, F., Ali, Z.B., Kiran, S. and Zehra,
S. (2015) Textaphrenia; Turmoil for Adults. World Journal of
Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences, 1, 70-72
14. Abbas, S.S., Naveed, S., Qamar, F., Zainab, S., Jawed, S.H.,
Kiran, S., Zehra, S. and Ali, Z.B. (2015) Autism Spectrum
Disorder (ASD); A Threat To Social Communication. World
Journal of Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences, 1, 203-205
15. Abbas, S.S. (2015) PROVOKE PRACTICAL APPROACH AND
RESEARCH CULTURE AMONGST 1ST PROFESSIONAL
YEAR OF PHARMACY STUDENTS. World Journal of
Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences, 3, 24-27
16. Abbas SS, Qamar F, Naveed S (2015) Pharmacy: A Dignified
Profession but yet Deserted; A Dilemma for Pharmacy Profession
a n d F u t u r e P h a rma c i s t . J B i o e q u i v A v a i l a b 7 : e 6 5 .
17. Naveed, S., Qamar, F., Abbas, S.S., Jawed, S.H., Raza, W., Khan,
M. and Iqbal, B. (2015) Appraisal of Techniques, Investigation
and Analysis of Vitamin (B7) Biotin. Open Access Library
Journal, 2: e1894. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/oalib.1101894