Volume : 8, Issue : 7, JUL 2022
EXTENT OF THE UTILIZATION OF INDIGENOUS LANGUAGE (IGBO) IN TEACHING AND LEARNING OF AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE AT THE JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS
NDEM, J. U., NWIGWE, N.
This Study was carried out with the aim of ascertaining the extent of utilization of indigenous language (Igbo) in the teaching and learning of Agricultural science at the Junior Secondary Schools in Ebonyi State. Four research questions and two null hypotheses guided the study. The design of the study was descriptive survey research design and the population of the study was three hundred and thirty six (336) agricultural science teachers and students. The sample for the study was 218 comprised 88 agricultural science teachers and 130 students. The instrument for data collection was the researchers’ structured questionnaire designed in 4 – points rating scale, to elicit responses from the respondents. The data analysis was done using mean, standard deviation for the research questions and t-test was used to test the hypotheses. The results of the study showed that the indigenous language (Igbo) is highly utilized in teaching and learning of Agricultural science at the Junior Secondary Schools. Based on the findings, it was recommended that Agricultural Science teachers should be encouraged more to facilitate agricultural science learning and teaching by using indigenous language at the Junior Secondary Schools. Secondly, the government of Ebonyi State should encourage and promote the indigenous languages in schools by motivating the Igbo language teachers.
INDIGENOUS LANGUAGE, IGBO, AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE, UTILIZATION, JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS.
Article : Download PDF
Cite This Article
Article No : 9
Number of Downloads : 66
- Adenegan, K.E., Raji, S.M. and Adenegan, T.S. (2017). “The use of Yoruba Indigenous language in teaching and learning of Mathematics in Nigeria Schools. https://www.academia.edu.
- Federal Republic of Nigeria (2014). National Policy on Education. N.E.R.D.C. Lagos, Nigeria.
- Iduma, C.I; Ogbu, J.E; Ndem, J.U and Obiana .V. (2019). Influence of chemical modification on kenaf fiber on Xgnp-pp-bio composites. SN Applied Science. DOI: 10.1007/S42452-019-1319-1.
- Lawal, O.A. (2015). Indigenous Languages as Tools for Effective Communication of Science and Technology for Food production in Nigeria. Theory and practice in language studies. 5(3), 463-468.
- Ndem, J.U and Akubue, B.N (2016). Status of teaching pre-vocational subjects in Junior Secondary School level. Journal of Education and practice 7(4), 103-109
- Ndem, J.U and Akubue, B.N (2018). Income generating opportunities available to widows in Agriculture and Home Economics related trade in Ebonyi State. Journal of Home Economics Research Association of Nigeria 25(2) 1-9.
- Ndem, J.U. (2020). Basic Teaching Methodology in Education and Social Sciences. Ave Maria Academic publishers. Abakaliki Nigeria
- Ndem, J.U.; Nwigwe, N. and Eze, J.N (2020). Application of Indigenous language (Igbo) for improving the Teaching of Vocational Agriculture at the Junior Secondary Schools in Ebonyi State, Nigeria. Journal of Education and Practice, 11(36), 24-29.
- Nwigwe, N. (2020). Availability and Utilization of Instructional Materials for teaching of indigenous language (Igbo) in public Junior Secondary Schools in Ebonyi State, Nigeria. Journal of education and practice. 11(5), 19-23.
- Nwigwe, N. (2021). Effectiveness of Story Telling on Reading Comprehension and written production of Indigenous Language (Igbo) learners in primary Schools in Ebonyi State, Nigeria. Journal of Education and Practice, 12(23), 37 – 41.
- Odondo, E.A. (2020). An indigenous Language Model for Innovations and Technology Transfer in Agriculture. Journal of Applied Linguistics and Translation 6(2), 52-58.
- Ugboh, O. (2004). Benefits of Indigenous Language in the teaching and learning of Adult farmers in Delta State, Nigeria. Journal of Agriculture and social Research, 4(2), 54-60.