Volume : 5, Issue : 9, SEP 2019
A COMPARATIVE STUDY ON EFFICACY OF NEURAL MOBILIZATION AND LASER ON PAIN AND FUNCTIONAL ACTIVITY OF LOWER LIMB IN SUBJECTS WITH PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME.
DR.V.SRI SAI VYSHNAVI, DR.V.SRIKUMARI, DR.K.MADHAVI
Piriformis syndrome is a neuromuscular disorder. It defined as a peripheral neuritis of sciatic nerve. It is a condition which is believed to result from compression of sciatic nerve around the piriformis. Focus of this study is to compare the efficacy of neural mobilization and laser on pain and functional activity of lower limb in subjects with piriformis syndrome. The sample consisted of 30 subjects, from both sexes, ranging from 25 to 50-years-old. Parameters are the Visual Analogue Scale (VAS) and lower extremity functional scale (LEFS). An experimental design was used in this study. 15 subjects were assigned to a experimental group; received 10 sessions of neural mobilization & LASER, while a second group of 15 subjects were assigned as control group; received 10 sessions of only LASER for five sessions per week, in two weeks. All participants were assessed for post values with VAS and LEFS after 2 weeks of training sessions. After the analysis, the results revealed significant improvement in VAS and LEFS in both the groups (p < 0.001) for pain intensity and functional status. But, experimental group improved statistically significant. In this study concluded that the enhanced functional activity by neural mobilization and laser can account for the improvement in the physical status of the subject along with diminished pain. Certainly the neural mobilization and laser combination has positively affected the functional status of the subjects.
NEURAL MOBILIZATIONS, PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME, LASER.
Article : Download PDF
Cite This Article
Article No : 33
Number of Downloads : 44
- Tonley JC, Yun SM, Kochevar RJ, Dye JA, Farrokhi S, “Treatment of an individual with piriformis syndrome focusing on hip muscle strengthening and movement re-education: a case report” JOSPT 2010; vol40(2) pg:no103-11.
- Lori A, Boyajian-O’ Neill, DO; Rance L. McClain, DO; Michele K. Coleman, DO; and Pamela P. Thomas, PhD “Diagnosis and management of piriformis syndrome:an osteopathic approach”. JAOA Nov 2008; vol-108 (11): 657-64.
- Shah S, Wang TW. Piriformis syndrome. eMedicinespecialities: Sports medicine: hip 2009 fckLR http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/87545-overview
- Jankovic D, Peng P, van Zundert A. Brief review: piriformis syndrome: etiology, diagnosis, and management. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia/Journal canadiend'anesthésie. 2013 Oct 1; vol-60(10): 1003-12.
- Shacklock MO. Clinical Neurodynamics:A New System of Musculoskeletal Treatment. Edinburgh,UK: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2005.
- Coppieters MW, Alshami AM. Longitudinal excursion and strain in the median nerve during novel nerve gliding exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome. J Orthop Res. 2007; vol-25 :972-80. http:// dx.doi.org/10.1002/jor.20310.
- Coppieters MW, Alshami AM. Longitudinal excursion and strain in the median nerve during novel nerve gliding exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome. J Orthop Res. 2007; vol-25: 972-80. http:// dx.doi.org/10.1002/jor.20310.
- Technomed electronics user manual, for more details www.technomedelectronics.com
- Reis SR, Medrado AP, Marchionni AM. effect of 670-nm laser therapy and dexamethasone on tissue repair: A histological and ultra structural study. Phontomed Laser surg2008; vol- 26: 307-13
- Gigo-Benato D, Geuna S, rochkind S. photo therapy for enhancing peripheral nerve repair: A review of the literature. muscle nerve 2005;vol-31 (6): 694 -01,
- Rochkind S, Barrnea L, razon N, Bartal A, Schwartz M. stimulatory effect of He- Ne low dose laser on injured sciatic nerves of rats. neurosurgery 1987; 20: 843-7
- Rahul Krishnan Kutty, Hailay Gebremichael Gebrekidan, Wondwossen Terefe Lerebo, Mueez Abraha Gebretsadik neural mobilization a therapeutic efficacy in a piriformis syndrome model:an experimental study” IJPR 2014: vol-2(3);577-83
- Surendra Ojha, Chandan Jailiya To find the efficacy of therapeutic LASER for piriformis syndrome, JMGUMST, 2017;2(1);14-7
- Siddiq MA,. Piriformis Syndrome and Wallet Neuritis: Are They the Same?. Cureus. 2018 May;10(5).
- David, 1997 Magee, D.J. 1997. Orthopaedic Physical Assessment, 3rd edition, W.B. Saunders Company London.
- Bertolini G. R. F, Silva T. S, Trndade D. L, Ciena A. P, Carvalho A. R. Neural mobilization and static stretching in an experimental sciatica model-An experimental study. Rev Bras Fisioter. 2001; 13(6): 493-98.
- Gigo - Benato D, Genuna S, Rochkind S. Phototherapy for enhancing peripheral nerve repair: A review of the literature. Muscle nerve 2005: 31(6):694-01
- Rochkind S, Barrnea L, Razon N, Bartal A, Schwartz M. Stimulatory effect of He-Ne low dose laser on injured sciatic nerves of rats. Neurosurgery 1987:20:843-7
- Roberta Tchaw, mark / Johnson. Efficacy of LLLT in the management of neck pain: A systematic review and meta- analysis of randomised placebo or active treatment controlled trails :November 13, 2009: DOI:10. 1016/S0140-6736(09)61522-1
- Ljubica, M.Konstantinovic, Milisav, Alexander LLLT for acute neck pain with radiculopathy: A double – blind placebo- controlled randomized study: pain medicine 2010;11:1169-78